Saturday, November 28, 2020

Snurfing through a Pandemic - PART 2

 

Unfortunately, we are still snurfing through a pandemic BUT there is WHITE at the end of the tunnel!  

Yes, despite a resurgence of C19 there are several vaccines close to being ready and so we just have to get through this winter safely together.  And, with boarding and skiing at resorts very much in question, there is no better time to get a PHNX Board, something you can definitely do while practicing social distancing!

I wrote this post at the end of March, when C19 was just rearing its ugly head.  Now, at the end of November, as we await snow here in the Northeast, it is every bit as relevant.

Read on:

Until the snow started today in Boston, snurfing was the last thing on my mind.  In fact, I hadn't checked my PHNX email account in a week or so.  When I did, I found an email from a few days ago from PHNX rider Phil up in VT, along with a couple of photos.  He titled them "last run?" suggesting that spring really was here and snurfing would be over.   Funny thing, the photos could easily have been taken at the beginning of winter, when those first flakes fly and PHNX riders are some of the first to enjoy what all boarders crave: sliding on snow.


As I looked out my window from self-quarantine, I noticed the snow accumulating and realized this might actually be more than just a flurry, and yes, I might even be able to snurf tomorrow.  And then it occurred to me that snurfing is probably one of the last sports that folks can do while we all social distance. The ski resorts held out as long as they could and now are all closed for the season.  But, that's not to say the snow is over! Anyone lucky enough to be near a hill and still have snow, or receive a few inches like we have, well, what better thing to do than get outside and enjoy.  In fact, I may just try and slip away to a ski mountain and poach all that terrain  sitting there untouched.

As for the photo of my Trailblazer with the face mask covering PHyrclops, our mascot?  First of all, I'm not a hoarder, that's just a cheap workshop mask we use when we handcraft our boards.  But, is it sensational, taking advantage of a crisis to sell boards?  No, this is just the reality of the situation we are in.  And frankly, along with a sense of humor, we all need ways to get outside and get fresh air and if we can help in any way, we've done our job.  Fresh air has a new meaning, doesn't it?  Every breath of untainted air is precious.  Get outside and appreciate it, snurfing or not.

1 comment: