Monday, November 19, 2018

Winter, 2018, here we come!

Welcome back, Old Man Winter!  OK, so if we can't refer to winter in that sexist way anymore, maybe just the guy with the big nose and the earbuds!  So, what's going on here, where is it and where's the Trailblazer?

Well, the PHirst snow of the season for this guy was on Mount Monadnock on November 11, up in Jaffrey, NH.  Always a great hike with a fabulous 360 degree view from the top and only 1.5 hours from Boston.  The snow in the photo was crusty, frozen, windblown, and just in a few shaded places among the rocks so no I did not get PHirst tracks with my PHNX Board!  What I did get was a great 2.5 hour round trip climb up and down the famous white dot trail, with all sorts of other people out there who know what AYADOAW means. A great way to get the legs ready for the real snow soon to come. 

During my hike, I also tested out my new Bose Sound Sport wireless earbuds and they passed with flying colors.  Yeah, I know, sacrilegious for many purists to "ruin" a hike in nature with music.  Even I used to feel that way, but I have to say it was...really cool!  I happened to be alone that day, so it's not like I tuned out my companions.  What I did do was listen to the entire two album classic: Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East and I was absolutely fueled by the Brothers' tireless jams (though not "Mountain Jam", which is on another album).  I also took the earbuds off now and again to enjoy the silence of the mountains...that is, as much silence as there is on Mount Monadnock, it being one of the most climbed mountains in the world.  So, best of both worlds, some music, some silence, and tons of fun.

So, yes, I am very much looking forward to the snow soon to come, and yes I will certainly be doing some snurfing on my PHNX Board Trailblazer along with my Bose earbuds!   What artist or album would you play while snurfing???

No comments:

Post a Comment